Frederick MD | Study: FSBOs Don’t Save Real Estate Commission
Frederick MD Local Market Tidbits:
In order for us to provide comprehensive real-time market data and in-depth analysis for the benefit of all our clients, we use this blog to bring you our expertise and provide you with world class service
From an advisory point of view, our local knowledge will benefit you financially when buying a home through us.
From a valuation point of view, our marketing expertise will augment the results you are looking for when selling a home.
From an activity point of view, these neighborhood in Frederick are the most active:
* Fort Detrick
* Wormans Mill
* Ballenger Creek Center
* Clover Ridge (Hill)
* Monocacy (Park, Crossing, Mile)
* Taskers Chance
* Hillcrest orchards
* Monarch Ridge
* Holly Ridge
* Manors At Ballenger
* Spring Ridge
* Brunswick & Brunswick Crossing
Today I want to talk to you about Study: FSBOs Don’t Save Real Estate Commission
One of the main reasons why For Sale By Owners (FSBOs) don’t use a real estate agent is because they believe they will save the commission an agent charges for getting their house on the market and selling it. A new study by Collateral Analytics, however, reveals that FSBOs don’t actually save anything, and in some cases may be costing themselves more, by not listing with an agent.
In the study, they analyzed home sales in a variety of markets in 2016 and the first half of 2017. The data showed that:
“FSBOs tend to sell for lower prices than comparable home sales, and in many cases below the average differential represented by the prevailing commission rate.” (emphasis added)
Why would FSBOs net less money than if they used an agent?
The study makes several suggestions:
* “There could be systematic bias on the buyer side as well. FSBO sales might attract more strategic buyers than MLS sales, particularly buyers who rationalize lower-priced bids on with the logic that the seller is “saving” a traditional commission. Such buyers might specifically search for and target sellers who are not getting representational assistance from agents.” In other words, ‘bargain lookers’ might shop FSBOs more often.
* “Experienced agents are experts at ‘staging’ homes for sale” which could bring more money for the home.
* “Properties listed with a broker that is a member of the local MLS will be listed online with all other participating broker websites, marketing the home to a much larger buyer population. And those MLS properties generally offer compensation to agents who represent buyers, incentivizing them to show and sell the property and again potentially enlarging the buyer pool.” If more buyers see a home, the greater the chances are that there could be a bidding war for the property.
Three conclusions from the study:
1.- FSBOs achieve prices significantly lower than those from similar properties sold by Realtors using the MLS.
2.- The differential in selling prices for FSBOs when compared to MLS sales of similar properties is about 5.5%.
3.- The sales in 2017 suggest the average price was near 6% lower for FSBO sales of similar properties.
If you are thinking of selling, FSBOing may end up costing you money instead of saving you money.
We fully understand that buying or selling a home is more than just a business transaction between two people.
We know how it affects your family and we know the experience could affect the quality of your life.
That’s why our team of highly-seasoned real estate professionals are dedicated to providing you with exceptional services at a local level.
Our pride is our personal touch that we use to connect with our clients,
where our goal is to build a long-term relationship based on trust and service.
Let us help you achieve all your real estate goals.
Give us a call now.
Search for the newest listings in Frederick by map (click picture below)
To reach us, please call 301-246-0001
or send us an email info@ReallyNiceHomes.com
Thinking of selling your home? Let Fernando take over the marketing of your property with our unique 99 STEPS system
www.99SOLD.com - Call or text 240-426-5754 for more information.