A Checklist For Moving To Your New Home
First, let me be the one to say it. . I hate moving and the very thought of it send chills down my spine,
Ironic that I chose to be a Real Estate Broker and I'm the person that manages the first step of moving day. .the actual selling of a home.
Most experts say that any kind of "change" creates "stress". Moving is a huge deal for anyone and the stress associated with this is real.
When preparing for a move we need to organize to minimize our efforts and attempt at completing the mission with minimal mistakes, accidents and headaches.
This is a checklist of sorts based on my many years of experience as a real estate broker:
My #1 advice. . .Get rid of what you don't need!Many of us are programmed to save for a rainy day and slowly we become "pack rats" that could easily be featured in one of the many television shows about Hoarders.
One thing that I can advice is going through all of our "stuff" and getting rid of what you don't need anymore. Moving unwanted clothing and stuff form garage to garage and attic to attic is energy wasted from your part.
It is surprising how much more in control we feel as soon as we start narrowing down our "inventory" to what we actually need to keep. Getting rid of the unwanted items can be done by having either a garage sale long before moving time or (my favorite) donating the leftovers to the Salvation Army or other charitable groups that may actually USE THESE ITEMS.
MY #2 advice . .Get all important papers and documents together and secure them and you handle them!Since moving is nearly a chaos for any family, to say the least, we need to be aware of the exact location of all of our important items. Don't leave it to the moving company to handle these. . you do it and keep it in the trunk of your car until you are settled. Sometimes things that we absolutely must not lose or misplace should certainly be solely carried by the person that it affects the most!
My #3 advice... .Prepare well in advance before actually doing it!There are many things that we can do prior to moving and my advice is for you to start preparing at least 6 months in advance!
Yes, 6 months!
Start packing and clearly mark all boxes to the corresponding rooms. .
In the Summer, pack your coats ..
In the Winter pack your Bermuda shorts!
As I was preparing to write this post, I found a company in New Jersey that specializes in Moving Services throughout the New Your area and also in a National level. General Moving Carriers provide this complete list of
MOVING TIPS -- FOR ONE MONTH BEFORE MOVING
- Fill out change of address order form for post office.
- Fill out an IRS change of address form.
- Make arrangements with moving company.
- Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies and hotels.
- Transfer memberships in churches, clubs and civic organizations.
- Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories. Ask doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
- Set up a checking account in your new city.
- Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding home-based businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
- Take inventory of your belongings before they're packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings. Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
- Make arrangements for transporting pets.
- Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.
See the rest of their tips about moving here
With proper planning and preparation your move should be a smooth one . . specially if you hire professional movers like General Moving Carriers from New Jersey,
Good luck with your move and good luck in your new home or apartment. . .and if we helped you find your home. . call Fernando Herboso at 240-426-5754 and just say. . "Moving Coupon" and you will get a $200 OFF moving expense coupon just because you read this article!
You must use one of Herboso & Associates agents to help you buy the house you are moving too. .simple and to the point. . .and please call me BEFORE the settlements of your purchase.. .not after!